The Atlantic 85 design allows room for four crew members and more kit than the Atlantic 75 lifeboat. She is powered by two 115hp engines and has a stronger hull and greater top speed. The added radar allows the crew to operate more effectively in poor visibility and she also has VHF direction-finding equipment.
A manually operated self-righting mechanism combined with two 115hp 4-stroke inversion-proofed engines keep her operational even after capsize. She is also capable of being beached in an emergency without sustaining damage to engines or steering gear.
The Atlantic 85 carries a full suite of communication and electronic navigation aids, including VHF radio, VHF direction finding, intercom, DGPS and electronic chart, radar and hand-held VHF, as well as a searchlight, night-vision equipment and illuminating paraflares for night-time operations.
Our Atlantic 85 lifeboat B-879 is called ‘Just George’.
- Length: 8.44m
- Beam: 2.85m
- Draught: 0.53m
- Displacement: 1.8 tonnes
- Max Speed: 35 knots
- Fuel Capacity: 210 litres
- Endurance: 2.5 hours at Max speed
- Construction: Hull – carbon fibre and foam core laminate, structure includes epoxy
- glass and foam sandwich layup
- – Inflatable collar – Hypalon-coated nylon
- Engines: 2x Yamaha 4-stroke; 115hp each
- Survivor capacity: 20
- Just George is launched from a carriage pulled by a specially adapted Ford County tractor.